Ramblings of a 20-something Ohioan

If salty language offends you, I apologize. Somedays I'm classy, and some days I'm crassy.

10 March 2011

Other Mothers (the good kind, not the Neil Gaiman kind)

Everyone has (or should have) someone in their life like my Auntie D.  Auntie D is grandpappy's oldest daughter and is helping Mumsy with his companion care.  Without Auntie D, my childhood would not have been so awesome. Here's why:

  • Never ending supply of Pepsi and M&M's
  • Trips to Geauga Lake amusement park and Sea World in the summers
  • Blasting the radio so we could all sing along in the Thunderbird
  • Painting Ceramics together
  • Making Christmas/Easter cookies and chocolates together
  • Telling my Dad off when he treated me poorly
  • Watching Mary Poppins and Bednobs and Broomsticks over and over again
  • Letting me sleep in her room when Mr. Boogedy freaked me out




This shit scared the crap out of me as a kid, and somehow
we always managed to watch it at night after dinner.


Auntie D is awesome still and she keeps it real, just like me.  I can call her for advice day or night and she is always there to answer, even though Uncle Harley gets up at 4am or some such ungodly hour.

I hope someday when all my friends' children are grown that they'll think back about me with the same joyfulness as I do when I think about Auntie D and her wonderful husband Uncle Harley.

Just a taste of those summers riding to Geauga Lake

And here's what it was like when Uncle Harley was driving

No comments:

Post a Comment

From the film Roadhouse (1989)

Dalton
All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.