Ramblings of a 20-something Ohioan

If salty language offends you, I apologize. Somedays I'm classy, and some days I'm crassy.

19 March 2011

Book Review: Ideas Of Their Own




Ideas Of Their Own by Joyce Guion Shipley with Photography by T. Simon


I can across this book whilst at a convention in Columbus.  On the table there was a note saying "Free-Please Take" so I did and was happy.  Going through the black and white photos alone was a pleasure.  My grandfather (not grandpappy) was a whiz with his camera and I always wanted him to teach me how to compose a nice photograph...all the elemental things, the physical nuts and bolts of photography.

Maybe someday he will.  My goal with my next Ohio trip is to spead a little more time on the lake then I did the last go 'round.

Ok, on to the poetry...A first edition, copy-written in 1984.  This book is as old as me. I'm so careful when I read it due to the delicate spine. I hope the author doesn't oppose me sharing a favorite poem in this space:

Dignity in Disguise
Dressing
For the day
Donning
A starch-stuffed coat
Upon
A delicate soul
With all movement
Under control
He is ready for the role
Of a dignified man

But what can be perceived
Slowly staining the sleeve
Is the passion
Of a wildly beating heart
Straining to be free
Dissolving the stiffness
With human dignity.

Apparently there are a couple more books by Ms. Shipley.  I really like the way she has painted this mental picture, and like a Rothko, it became something more when you actually sit down with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

From the film Roadhouse (1989)

Dalton
All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.